Sunday, September 02, 2012

Review: Maybelline Superstay 24 Color

I recently discovered this little makeup gem a few weeks ago. My biggest thing about lip colours is that I have to constantly reapply during the day - that I'll never get through talking to customers all day at work or eating lunch with these magnificent red lips lasting. So when I tried these Maybelline Superstay 24 Color that my friend had purchased I was amazed and impressed and in love. Nothing is perfect, but these little gems are close. 
I'm going to talk about these in general and show you swatches of the 5 that I have. 


Keep reading below...



The Maybelline Superstay lip colours have a gloss-like lip colour on one end and a lip balm like gloss stick on the other end.


Doe-foot applicator

The Formula:
I'm in love with this system, the gloss end dries on your lips to stay lasting and the balm end creates a shiny and moisture enriched lip.
Of course, because this is long-lasting and dries onto your lips, it will be rather drying for your lips. When I first started wearing them, I wore them basically every day and by the end of the week my lips were so dried out. I'd keep to wearing them once in a while or exfoliating your lips every night. 

The Pigmentation:
You have to do thin layers with these and I find that the pigmentation is perfect. They're pigmented and not streaky, easy to use.

The Lasting Power:
I would not say 24 hours, but for me, they're wonderfully lasting. I can talk, eat, and even kiss ;) without them coming off. Don't get me wrong, like I said they're not perfect and they will flake around the centre of the lips after a few meals or more than like 6 hours of wear. Easy enough to touch up around the centre of your lips with a gloss like product though. 
Lasting is excellent for a few hours and awesome for not transfering when it comes to eating or kissing(!) but flaking will occur.

Price and Colour Selection:
They have a lot of selection in terms of number, but I find most of the products are in the same colour range. Not to mention that the names of the colours are usually so far off! (Keep it Red = magenta; Cinnamon Stay = muted red!). You can probably find what you're looking for if you look hard enough though.
Price of these is around $10 CAD. I think this is reasonable. 

Swatches
Eternal Sunset

Very Cranberry

Cinnamon Stay

Keep Up the Flame

Everlasting Wine

Have you tried them? What do you think?!


3 comments:

  1. Would you say "keep up the flame" is a good true red? If not, which one from the collection would be good close call? I'm looking for one with a bluish tone. I got endless ruby. I like it but its a little too dark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't necessarily say "good true red", as it seems a little dull to me; it definitely has a blue-tone and is an awesome red but maybe not a good true red.
      Here is a quick comparison to some other reds I have...
      Revlon Really Red and OCC Stalker are true reds
      Rimmel #11 is a blue-based red that leans on the darker side
      http://i.imgur.com/2nwXGA3.jpg

      Delete